Hiring Contractors for Property Renovations: What You Need to Know
Are you planning on making property renovations? If so, you might be considering hiring a house renovation contractor. There are tons of contractors out there, which can make the process of choosing one a bit daunting.
You want to make sure that you choose the best man or woman for the job, and you also want to spend the least amount of money as possible. So, how do you go about finding a contractor?
To help you find someone that you can rely on to do a great job. We’ve put together a special hiring a contractor checklist for you, including general contractor tips and general contractor tips.
How to Find a Home Renovation Contractors Near Me?
Start by asking your family and friends to make recommendations. If people you know have done any property renovations, ask them if they would recommend the general contractor they worked with.
If you don’t know anyone who has worked with a contractor, check with the National Association of the Remodelling Industry. They will be able to provide you with a list of members that are located in your area.
Another option would be to check with a building inspector who can recommend renovation contractors that meet code requirements. However, you go about finding contractors near you, compile a list of at least three different people.
Contact a House Renovation Contractor
Once you have compiled a house renovation contractor list, get in touch with them. Give each prospect a call and ask the following questions:
- What type of experience do you have?
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Can you provide references?
- Can you share photos of projects you have previously worked on, or would you be willing to allow me to visit houses you have done renovations on?
- How many projects will you be working on while you’re working on my renovation?
- Where do you source your materials from?
- How long do you expect the project will take?
- How much do you charge?
The contractor’s answers to these questions will let you know how reliable they are, what type of work they do, and whether or not they work for your budget.
Hiring A Contractor Checklist
If you’re planning on doing any property renovations, hiring a house renovation contractor will ensure the job is done the right way. Below, we have created a checklist for hiring a contractor.
But before you hire a contractor, you probably have a lot of questions, like “How do I find home renovation contractors near me?” and “How can I tell if a contractor is reputable?”
Here’s a look at some handy tips that will help you find a reputable general contractor for your property renovations and turn your home into a space that you will truly love.
Have an In-Person Meeting
Based on the answers you receive during your phone interview, choose the contractors you liked the most and arrange to meet with them in person. You will be able to get a better idea of the estimate for the job and have a more in-depth conversation about your specific renovation project. Meeting in person will also allow you to determine if you feel comfortable with the contractor.
After you have met in person, check in with the recommendations by previous clients of the contractor. Also, consult with your local authorities before you decide which one you are going to hire. Doing so will allow you to find out even more about the reputation of the contractor and whether or not any disputes with past clients or subcontractors have been filed against him or her.
Pay a Visit to a Job Site
A reputable general contractor should be willing to welcome you to a job site. When you do, pay attention to the cleanliness and safety of the site, the types of tools that are being used, how many people subcontractors are working on the job. Look at how everyone interacts with each other – and with you. You want to make sure that you feel comfortable with the crew that could potentially be working on your property renovation.
Don’t Rely on Price Alone
Throw out any lowball bids that you receive. Though it might be tempting to go with the contractor who quotes you the lowest price, if their price seems too good to be true, they probably are. Contractors that charge super low prices often cut corners or are desperate for work and are willing to charge as little as possible to land a job.
The most important factor that should be taken into consideration when choosing a general contractor is how well you communicate with one another. It’s better to spend more and hire someone you are comfortable with and who you can be confident will get the job done safely, efficiently, and correctly.
Get it in Writing
Have a contract detailed contract drawn up that highlights every aspect of the project, including:
- The payment schedule
- The proof of liability insurance
- The start date
- The projected date of completion
- The products and materials that will be used
- A requirement that the contract get lien releases, which will protect you if he or she doesn’t pay the bills
General Contractor Tips
In addition to the tips listed above, the following general contractor tips will ensure that your property renovations are a success:
- Listen to any advice and insights that your general contractor provides. Remember: they are experts in their field.
- Be open and honest. If you have questions or concerns, don’t be afraid to mention them and make sure that your contractor addresses them.
- Discuss your plans for your renovation in full detail. You want your contractor to know exactly what you expect to receive.
- Oversee the work. Check in regularly to see the progress of the project and how everything is coming together.
- Be patient, but not too patient. Things can happen that can delay property renovations; however, it if seems like it is taking much longer than it should, don’t be afraid to speak up.