Do you want to find out how to prepare for a home renovation? You will need to create a home renovation checklist if you are planning on selling your house and you want to increase the property value. This is also true if you have just moved in and you want to make the space your own. You can do this by adding with personal touches that are unique to your style.
Maybe, you have lived in your house for a while, and you want to make it more modern and comfortable. You probably have a renovation project in your near future.
While a renovation can be exciting, it can also be intimidating. A lot of planning and work needs to be done to make your renovation a success. How can you make the process less intimidating and that you will love the end result?
We’ve put together a handy home renovation checklist to serve as your guide for renovating your home.
House Renovation Order of Works
One of the reasons why renovations can be so overwhelming is because homeowners don’t know how what’s involved in the process. Maybe they know some of what’s involved in the process, but they don’t know all the details.
Here’s a look at a basic house renovation order of works:
- Devise a plan. The first thing you’re going to want to do is create a plan. What do you want to renovate? How extensive do you want the renovation to be? What are you trying to achieve? What are things that you definitely need and things that you would like to have? Once you have a general plan in mind, you will find that it’s a lot easier to put everything together and get your renovation started – and completed.
- Set your budget. How much money can you afford to spend on a house renovation comfortably? You don’t want to end up going broke because of your renovation project. Make sure that you find a number that you can afford – and don’t forget to allow an extra 10 to 20 percent more for any unforeseen projects that may arise.
Stick to your budget when deciding on the real scope of your project and the types of materials you can use. Also, make sure that you concentrate on the things you need first. Once those items are attended to, if you have money leftover, you can consider adding in some of the things that you would like to have.
- Do it yourself or contractor? Do you want to do the project on your own, or do you want to hire a professional? When you DIY a house renovation, you’ll be able to save a good bit of money on labour. Plus, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you did the work on your own. However, if you aren’t very handy or you don’t know how to complete one part of the project, you should seriously consider hiring a professional contractor. Though it will cost more initially, you’ll get better quality work, and you will be able to avoid potential disasters that could drive the entire cost of the project up significantly.
- Secure permits. If you are doing the work yourself, make sure that you secure the proper permits before you get started. You don’t want to end up having to pull down your hard work or risk getting fined if you aren’t adhering to rules and regulations. If you are hiring a professional contractor, he or she should be willing to secure the permits for you.
- Stay on task. You’re going to want to create a timeframe, complete with an estimated date of completion. Stay on task so that you can get the job done as quickly as possible. However, do keep in mind that your timeframe should be flexible, as there is always a change that an unforeseen circumstance could arise that could end up prolonging the project.
Renovating a House Step by Step
Now that you know the order of works that are involved in this type of project, the next thing to discuss in our home renovation checklist is different steps that are involved in doing a renovation. This is how to prepare for a home renovation.
Here’s a brief introduction to renovating a house step by step:
- Order your materials. Before you get started, make sure that you order all of the materials that you are going to need well in advance. You want to have your materials available when you are ready for them. Otherwise, you could end up delaying your project.
- Enlist help. If you are going to be doing the work yourself, make sure that you get some help for the project. Friends and family can certainly be helpful. If you know someone who has experience in home renovations, consider asking him or her for help. If paying a fee will send your budget sky high, consider offering to trade one of your services in return for theirs.
- Clear the space out. Remove all items from the area you are renovating, including furnishings and decorative elements.
- Start demolition. If your renovation involves tearing down walls or replacing fixtures, get to work on demolition.
- Install renovations. Depending on your project, this may include new fixtures, drywall, tile, flooring, etc.
- Paint. Once all renovations have been completed, add a fresh coat of paint to the walls.
- Bring in the finishing touches. Furniture, art, and decorative accents will pull the entire renovation together.
House Renovation Planner: Should You Use One?
You might want to consider adding a house renovation planner to your home renovation checklist.
There are several planners available, and many of them you can find for free online! These planners serve as a great guide for your renovation and can make things go a lot smoother. They take the guesswork out of creating a home renovation checklist on your own and can ensure that you get everything accomplished that you wish to and that you stay on task and complete the project within your timeframe.
If you are planning on a renovation project, creating and following a home renovation checklist will certainly help to make the project less daunting and more successful.