Have you wondered what are the main house renovation Costs? Doing a home renovation might seem like a good idea on the surface, but when you start to plan it out, it can become an extremely overwhelming task.
For the project to be done successfully, careful planning and preparation are necessary – as is budgeting. So what are the main house renovation costs?
Of all the elements that need to be handled, estimating house renovation costs is usually the most daunting. There are multiple factors and several variations that add to the bottom line. These factors include the size of the house, the scope of the project, and the materials that are needed.
To give you an idea of what type of costs you may be looking at and what parts of the project have the biggest price tag, we’ve put together this guide to give you some insight.
What Does a Home Renovation Mean?
Before we jump into house renovation costs, let us first answer the following question: “What does a home renovation mean?”
A lot of homeowners believe that remodel and renovation are interchangeable terms. While both projects are similar, as they involve making improvements to an existing home, they are differences between the two.
A remodel refers to changing the structure or the form of the house. For example, if you are going to remodel your bathroom, you are going to change the look, the structure, and the function of the space.
A renovation, on the other hand, involves making changes to surface details; the look of the space is changed, but there aren’t any major structural changes. For instance, if you are renovating a bathroom, you would only change the cosmetic aspects, such as tiling, paint, fixtures, and lighting.
In other words, a remodel is a more in-depth project than a renovation, and as such, it tends to be much more expensive. A renovation can usually be completed relatively quickly.
House Renovation Order of Works
Now that you understand the difference between a renovation and a remodel, now let’s take a look out the steps that are involved in planning a house renovation. Below, you’ll find a list of the house renovation order of works that will help you effectively plan your project so that it can be as successful as possible.
- Establish a plan. First things first: you’re going to want to have a plan. Assess the space that you would like to renovate and establish priorities. Decide what type of chances you would like to make, where you want to start, the types of materials that will be needed, and a timeframe for the project.
- Create a budget. After you make a plan and before you dive into the renovation, establish a budget. Determine how much you can comfortably spend on the renovation. It’s a good idea to find out the average house renovation costs to determine how much you’ll need to achieve your goals. Then allow an extra 10 to 20 percent for any unanticipated costs that could arise.
There’s always a risk of something unexpected coming up, so it’s a wise idea to have more money than you need.
- Hire a house renovation project manager. If you don’t think that you can successfully do the job on your own, hire a house renovation project manager (also known as a contractor.) Find someone who has experience with the type of renovation you are planning. Check references and samples of past work, and make sure that you are comfortable with the person. A contractor will handle all aspects of the renovation, including securing permits, ordering materials, demolition, and installation.
- Add the finishing touches. Once the nitty-gritty of the project is complete, it’s time to bring in the finishing touches. Pictures, linens, area rugs, and other decorative items will bring the new look of the renovated space together.
How Much Does It Cost for Renovation?
Now let’s talk about numbers: How much does it cost for renovation?
As mentioned earlier, house renovation costs can be difficult to determine. There are so many different factors that need to be considered, and each one will add to the bottom line.
The size, the scope of the project, the materials you plan on using and where you live are just some of the factors that are associated with house renovation costs. The average costs associated with a renovation are as follows:
- Kitchen renovation. £4,500 to £49,000
- Bathroom renovation. £6,000 to £14,000
- Basement. £7,000 to £100,000
- Exterior renovation. £5,000 to £75,000
Of course, these costs are just estimates. Also, keep in mind that the larger and more involved the renovation is, the more expensive the project will be. However, even if you are planning on doing a large-scale renovation, there are ways that you can cut costs and stay within your budget. A home renovation grants, doing the work yourself, and shopping at discount suppliers are just some options.
House Renovation Project Manager Cost
Hiring a contractor or a project manager can help your project go smoothly and ensure that it is done as efficiently as possible. However, despite the benefits of hiring this professional, it can certainly add to the cost of your project.
What does a house renovation project manager cost?
Just like estimating the cost of all other aspects of the renovation, it can be tricky to determine how much you will spend for a project manager. But what does a house renovation project manager cost?
Various factors can impact the rate a contractor will ask, including his or her credentials, experience, the amount of work you are expected him or her to do, where you live, and how many subcontractors the project manager will be working with.
To find out an accurate estimate, it’s in your best interest to contact project managers and ask them outright to quote a price for your renovation. Remember: price shouldn’t be the deciding factor. While a low quote might be tempting, it usually indicates the contractor’s quality of work. As the old saying goes, “you get what you pay for”.